Tuesday, March 1, 2022

My Experience Buying Disney Vacation Club

 In the fall of 2021 I pulled the trigger and purchased Disney Vacation Club. Well technically I pulled the trigger in the summer and actually purchased it in October. So, I thought I would talk about the experience. I do wish I had taken better notes on prices, but I think it's still worth sharing.


First, I want to talk about my history with DVC. My parents purchased at Bay Lake Tower around 2010 after their first childfree trip. Then, in 2017 they purchased a second smaller contract at the Polynesian. I was actually added to that contract so I could use the benefits like discounts. I would also have a blue card, while purchasing a contract resale. I’m no expert on the different cards and benefits so I’m not going into all of that.


I’ve stayed DVC with my parents a few times. I’ve stayed in a two bedroom at Bay Lake Tower, a studio at the Polynesian, and a studio in Saratoga Springs. Those have all been great trips.




I’ve wanted to buy DVC for a long time, but I didn’t think I was in the right place financially. With my financial situation changing in the last couple of years and going to Florida more frequently I thought it was time. In early 2021, I started saving. I hate debt so my plan was to pay cash. So,I thought it might happen in a couple of years.


I am in a DVC group on Facebook and will occasionally check on resale listings. By the summer it looked like prices were going up exponentially just like the regular housing market. That made me feel like now was a good time to buy. Maybe not a good time, but prices probably weren’t going to come down. 


My plan was to buy resale at Saratoga Springs. It tends to be a cheaper resort. I also really enjoyed my stay there so I wouldn’t mind staying there each trip if I had to. So, I researched contracts there and found one that was stripped. I didn’t mind because I didn’t plan on using any points in 2021. Plus, that made it cheaper. I put in an offer and after a counter-offer that I accepted we submitted to Disney for Right of First Refusal. That is the most stressful part because you just wait to see if Disney will take the contract.


After about three weeks, my agent called me to say Disney did exercise Right of First Refusal. He said they could move my deposit to another contract or take it back. Prices were still going up so I didn’t want to wait. That night I searched available contracts and offered on another one. This one was about $10 more per point. I hoped this would help me get through ROFR. Sadly, it did not. I told my agent I needed to think about what I was going to do before offering on another contract. 


Several months had passed and waiting to hear from Disney was very stressful. I considered offering on another resort that had more years left like Grand Floridian. I also started looking at buying direct from Disney. That is more expensive, but it wasn’t much more and you don’t have to wait.


At this point, my parents also said they wouldn’t be buying at the Riviera which they had been considering. I love the Riviera. Disney also had a deal/offer for discounted Riviera points.


So, I submitted a quote request on Saturday and a DVC agent called me on Sunday. After discussing the cost I said I wanted to go forward. She took my credit card for the downpayment and was sending me paperwork to sign electronically. I had my down payment from the resale company refunded and used that toward this one. The following weekend I got my documents notarized virtually (the notary was great).


I got my points almost instantly after signing and submitting the paperwork. The whole thing was very fast. That’s part of the premium you pay for. 





I did look at trying to book a trip before the end of the year. Unsurprisingly, there wasn’t anything available at the Riviera. I want my first stay to be there. Ultimately, I booked a four night stay in June in a Tower Studio. I’m very excited for this trip. It’ll be my first solo trip, too.


This wasn’t how I expected the process to go, but I’m very happy with where I ended up.


Thanks for reading!

Holly


No comments:

Post a Comment