Sunday, October 1, 2017

Disney and Anxiety

I made a video talking about this and it probably wasn't very coherent. So, I've been putting off writing this because I'm worried this will be just as random.

So, as a little background, I'm an introvert with generalized anxiety. And social interactions especially with strangers definitely triggers me. Like I even avoid social events locally. I've also been taking an anti-anxiety medication for just over two years. It has definitely helped, but I still deal with my anxiety daily.

But I actually have less isues with it in Disney World. I'll even talk to people and initiate conversations.

After my last trip I starting thinking about why.

So, what I've come up with is knowledge. Having a strong understanding of the situation(s) I'm in makes me more comfortable and helps alleviate my anxiety. This comes from years of visiting the parks. But I'm also able to learn about things I haven't experienced through podcasts, message boards, and YouTube.

It's sad but in my daily life at home my anxiety causes me to retreat into myself and hide parts of myself. But in Disney World I can be my truest self and that makes me so happy.

If you've struggled with anxiety let me know how you deal with it. Especially if you've dealt with it in Disney.

Thanks for reading!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment